Mushroom Poisoning Alert

With all the wet weather southern Colorado got over the weekend, wild mushrooms are starting to pop up in fields, yards and on trails.

Dr. John Sudduth, a veterinarian at the Northwest Animal Hospital in Colorado Springs, is warning pet owners about the dangers of wild mushrooms. He says some can be toxic, and if dogs ingest them, they could get ill.

Dr. Sudduth recommends policing your yard. If you find any mushrooms, get rid of them.

“Children, as well a pets, can be exposed to those and prevention is worth a pound a cure,” said Dr. Sudduth. “Getting rid of those mushrooms before they ever have a chance to expose your pet is really important.”

Some of the symptoms of mushroom poisoning in canines include excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures. If those symptoms occurs, medical attention should be sought right away.

Dr. Sudduth said there is also a way to determine whether or not the mushroom is poisonous. You can take a sample to the El Paso County CSU-Extension Office, where it can be tested.

KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Leave a Reply

Find Us

Pet Insurance

trupanion
Font Resize
Contrast